Christmas Gingerbread Hearts
Even if the weather is warm outside in New Zealand I still hanker for the winter comforts I associate with Christmas in England and Germany. I would rather have big slabs of chocolate covered marzipan, gingerbread and stollen than pavlova, cream and berries which is typical for a Christmas on this side of the world. Each year I also like to make gingerbread tree decorations which look fabulous for a day or two, then I can’t resist eating them and think what a shame it would be to let them go stale on the tree. So quick, out with the camera before they are all consumed!
This recipe produces a spicy and crisp gingerbread which is perfect for decorations and gingerbread houses. It is easy and quick to make and the baking time is very short. I hope you get a chance to make and enjoy them yourself.
- 450g self raising flour
- 110g butter
- 1 tblsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 200g honey
- 200g castor sugar
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place flour and spice into a bowl.
- Melt butter, sugar & honey in a pan over a how heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Add the honey mixture to the flour and spices, combine and leave to cool. Dough should come away from sides of bowl and form a ball.
- Allow mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and kneed into dough.
- If the dough is too sticky then add some more flour.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest in fridge for at least 20 minutes (you can leave it over night). If you use the dough immediately it will swell more when baking and loose it’s cookie shape.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2 cm thick and cut out with Christmas cookie cutter shapes.
- Make a whole at the top of each cookie dough with a skewer or straw so you can thread ribbon once cooked.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place cookies with space around them as they will expand when cooking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from tray once cooled.
- Decorate as desired with icing.