While the strawberries are in abundance in the Southern Hemisphere and my hubby also works in the industry so I am luck to have constant supply, I am making the most of them.
Sorbet is very easy to make, it just requires overnight freezing in between the processes.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 large strawberries
- 1 egg white
- Place water and sugar in a pan and simmer gently until sugar has dissolved.
- Allow sugar syrup to cool.
- wash & hull (remove stalks) strawberries.
- blend strawberries in a food processor or blender
- add cooled sugar syrup to strawberries and give all ingredients another quick blend.
- freeze mixture overnight.
- next day – whisk egg white till fluffy & stiff
- remove strawberry mixture from freezer, add to food processor or blender, blend to a ‘slush’.
- add egg white and re-blend or a minute. The egg white gives the sorbet a lighter airy texture, more like ice cream.
Enjoy a refreshing alternative to ice cream! Serve with fruit or a nice chocolate tart (future recipe) or on it’s own for a guilt free treat!