Pina Colada Ice Cream
The most exciting gifts for Christmas for me are certainly the ones which have anything to do with food, whether edibles, gadgets or books. This year I received an ice cream maker, not that I had been dropping any hints for the past month or so about how wonderful it would be to make my own ice cream! I don’t think my partner thought it was such a fantastic idea until I mentioned one evening while he was making us Pina Coladas that the ingredients would surely make a good ice cream too….I think that sold the idea and here is the recipe made with my new kitchen appliance!
- 2 cup of coconut cream or milk
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (or blended pineapple)
- 50g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of white rum (optional)
- Place coconut cream, cream & pineapple juice in a pan and bring to a simmer
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl till combined.
- Whisk hot liquid mix into yolk mixture.
- Return to a clean saucepan over a very low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent mixture from ‘catching’ on base of pan.
- Cook gently until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon (creates a custard).
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to chill in fridge completely before before putting into ice cream maker.
- Stir crushed pineapple and white rum into custard mixture. Do not be tempted to put in more rum as too much alcohol can prevent the mix from freezing.
- Put mixture into prepared ice cream maker as per instructions for that appliance.
Very delicious and refreshing, Enjoy!
You can pour white rum over the ice cream when serving the adults instead of adding it to the mixing process if you are making the ice cream for a family with youngsters. Then no-one misses out!