Tomato Chilli Relish
This is a spicy fragrant relish which is very versatile for jazzing up many meat dished such as fish or chicken, whether cooked on the BBQ, grilled or pan fried. Use it in place of a sauce since it is quite liquid.
Of course it can also be used as a dipping sauce as part of a Tapas plate or just to spice up your sandwiches!
The relish will hold for several weeks in the fridge but will not keep for months because it has a low vinegar and sugar content.
- 1 kg Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamon seeds
- 3 hot chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- Place cumin and cardamon seeds in a pan and ‘dry fry’ them for a few minutes then grind with a mortar & pestle.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add mustard seeds and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, cardamon, chillies and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to make sure the sauce isn’t sticking to the pan.
- Pour into sterilised jars and store in fridge.