Fig & Walnut Wafers
This wafer is similar to a biscotti in it’s ingredients and method of baking but sliced very thin after the first baking so that it can be eaten like a cheese biscuit. of course it can also be eaten with a coffee or tea since it is slightly sweet. I personally find that it goes really well with a blue vein cheese or a hard Italian cheese and a glass aromatic white wine. Perfect pre dinner nibbles!
Make about 40 wafers
1/2 cup caster sugar,
1 cups (190g) flour, sifted,
½ cup walnuts,
½ cup figlets, remove stalks
Method – stage one
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Fold in flour, walnuts and figlets, gently. If you over mix the dough will become to dense.
- Spoon the mixture in the tin and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly coloured.
- Cool on a baking rack and then rest in fridge overnight.
Method – stage two
- The following day (or at least several hours later after resting in fridge), preheat oven to 160 centigrade.
- Slice the loaf thinly and arrange on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a baking rack and serve!