Pistachio & Almond Butter
For Everyone who loves nut betters here is a fairly simple recipe that produces a more refined tasting butter than peanut. Although I enjoy pistachio & almond butter on a fresh piece of bread my real reason for making it was to turn it into pistachio & almond ice cream (recipe posted next under ice cream). I also have a friend who has fond memories of eating pistachio ice cream back in Europe but can’t find it here so I thought I would surprise her too.
- 150g pistachio, shelled
- 70g ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Blanch the pistachios in boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place on a clean tea towel.
- Rub the nuts in between the tea towel to remove the brown skins.
- Place the pistachios, honey, oil and water in a food processor and blend till smooth. Or I found my Kenwood hand blender worked better than the food processor because of the small quantity being made it was easier to direct the concentrate the blades on where you wanted them.
- Add the ground almonds and blend to mix.
- The smoothness of the paste will depend on how robust your processor or hand blender is, or how you prefer your nut butter to be, don’t forget peanut butter comes in a variety of textures.