Simple Lemon Cake
This is a really light fluffy sponge with a zesty lemon decorative top. Perfect for morning or afternoon tea since it isn’t too heavy.
- 2 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 more lemons thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey, melted
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- 250g SR flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line an 8 inch cake time with grease proof paper, make sure the paper comes up the sides as little to hold the honey. Do not use a loose bottom tin, the honey will seep out.
- Pour the honey onto the grease proof paper in tin.
- Arrange lemon slices on top of the honey.
- Place butter & sugar into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk or good old fashioned wooded spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk in between both additions.
- Add the zest and juice of two lemons to the mixture and combine.
- Sift in flour butter mixture and fold in with a metal spoon till all combined.
- Spread sponge mixture over lemons ensuring it touches the side so the honey does not bubble up.
- Bake in oven for 35- 40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out of the sponge clean.
- Once cooled, turn flan upside down on a plate and remove the tin carefully.
- Serve on it’s own or with cream, ice cream or custard. Yum!