Lemon Drop Biscuits
The name Lemon drop wasn’t initially what I was going to call these biscuits but there are two reason why they ended up with this title. The first an obvious is the drop of lemon curd in the centre of the biscuit but the second reason really sealed their name. As I took my tray of 15 biscuits out of the oven I somehow let them slip from my hand and the whole tray landed on the floor smashing all but the three in the photograph. So the lemon biscuits dropped. Thankfully the floor had just been cleaned and I go by the four second rule anyway so we rescued most of them, even though they looked a disaster they tasted delicious. And the bonus was that I saved enough for my Blog (well a bigger plate of biscuits might have looked better). I think it is the first time I have ever dropped any of my baking before but it didn’t stop there that day, it just deteriorated through to the photo shoot. I had this beautiful antique china cup that I thought I could use upside down as the cake stand, since a normal cake stand would be far to big for three biscuits! Yet again I had ‘dropsy’ and dropped my china cup onto the floor and it smashed as I was about to arrange it in front of the camera. I won’t be making dropsy biscuits again but I’m sure they are only jinx for me and not you so I dare you to try them :o)
Ingredients – makes 15 small biscuits
- 6oz/170g Flour
- 4oz/115g Butter (soften but not melted)
- 2 oz/56g icing sugar
- 1/2 jar of lemon curd
- Preheat oven on bake (not fan bake) to 160 degrees centigrade and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Sift flour into bowl.
- Add butter and sugar and rub into flour.
- Knead all the ingredients together to form a dough but do not over knead otherwise the dough will be come tough and the biscuit will be hard.
- Divide dough into 15 and mould in hands to make small balls.
- Place balls of dough onto baking sheet and press thumb in the middle to create and indent.
- Fill indent with half a teaspoon of lemon curd
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a very light golden on edges.
- Cool on a wire rack