Lazy Sunday afternoon enjoying Cheese & Bacon Scones
Deutsche Rezept unten
This is my first post also translated into German. I lived in Frankfurt for 8 years before moving to NZ so I decided after a year of blogging I should at least translate the recipes if not the dialogue.
It was the morning after the night before a few late birthday celebrations for P, it had been a long night with plenty wine consumed. Feeling a little low on energy the following Sunday afternoon the cure had to be something savoury, comforting and carbo loading for P. I’m not a big savoury scone fan but P is always asking me to make them so since it was still his birthday week (yes we like to extend celebrations in our house) and they are one of the quickest things to knock together I made a batch for afternoon tea. They came out of the oven around lunch time and the smell was so tempting we proceeded to eat them straight out of the oven slavered in butter for our lunch instead. I have to say, I might be converted to savoury scones!
You can play around with the cheese and bacon quantities depending on how you like them but these where fairly light in both cheese and bacon flavour.
Ingredients – makes about 6-8 large scone
- 200g self raising flour
- 80g butter
- pinch of salt
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 150 of milk
- 1 tblsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Fry bacon till brown.
- whisk the mustard into the milk.
- Place flour, butter and salt into a bowl.
- Rub butter and flour together until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the grated cheese & bacon and mix through.
- Form a well in the centre of bread crumb mix and add the milk kneed gently to form a soft dough.
- Transfer dough onto a floured board and press the dough out with hands (rather than using a rolling pin) until it is about 2cm thick.
- Either use a round cookie cutter to cut out the scones or slice the scones into squares.
- Place on a floured baking sheet and brush tops of scones with a little egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown, they will sound hollow like bread when tapped on the base if cooked through correctly.
- 2oog Mehl
- Mehl zum Ausrollen
- 2 TL Backpulver
- 80g Butter
- 1/4 Teel. Salz & Pfeffer
- 4 scheiben Speck
- 100g Cheddar Käse
- 150ml Milch
- 1 EL Dijon Senf
- Den Backofen auf 180 °C vorheize
- In einer Schüssel Mehl, Backpulver, Peffer und Salz miteinander mischen.
- Die Butterstückcken mit dem Mehl verreiben.
- Jetzt den Käse und senf zugeben und in den Teig einarbeiten.
- Die Milch über die trockenen Zutaten geben und mit einer Gabel nur so lange verrühren, bis das Mehl überall benetzt ist.
- Dann auf einer bemehlter Flaecher etwas 2cm dick ausrollen. Mit einem Glas oder runden Cookiefoermchen (c. 6cm Durchmesser) ausstechen.
- Foermchen auf ein Backblech geben und 20 bis 25 Minuten goldbraun backen.