Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream made with Rice Milk
Playing with new ingredients as well as a new lens!
A friend has someone visiting who is on a dairy, wheat, soy and egg free diet so it was a bit of a challenge to make a sweet treat for her. She knew I had been making ice cream lately from yoghurt and asked if it would be possible to make ice cream from rice milk. I said I would test run a recipe and then pass it along if it was successful. Of course I passed on the first batch of rice milk ice cream too! Since I couldn’t make a custard base with eggs I opted for a Gelato style ice cream, thickened with corn flour. The rice milk, which I had never tasted before, was quite sweet so there is very little sugar added to the recipe and the richness of the 70% chocolate over shadows the rice milk flavour.
It was a great success by everyone, not just the young lady on the special diet.
I have also been playing practising with my new macro lens and trying out new techniques, some are working well but other things I took for granted with a wider lens are proving frustrating but I suppose it is just a case of practise make perfect.
- 500ml rice milk
- 50g sugar
- 100g 70% cocoa chocolate, chopped
- 3 tsp corn flour/ corn starch
- Mix 50ml of rice milk and corn flour together till smooth.
- Heat the rest of rice milk in a pan.
- Just before the milk boils remove from the heat and stir in the corn flour.
- Once thoroughly mixed return pan to the heat and cook on a low heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes until milk thickens. It is important to cook out the flavour of the corn flour otherwise the gelato will taste floury.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar.
- Pour into a bowl and add the chocolate and stir continuously until the chocolate has melted.
- Chill in fridge overnight or until completely cold.
- Transfer the mix into the ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions.
- Keeps well for a week (if you can keep it that long!) but after that I find it forms too many ice crystals in a domestic freezer.