Chocolate Truffle Strawberry Tarts
A dessert fit for strawberry growers!
Strawberry season is in full swing again here in New Zealand and as much as I love them it is a pretty hectic time in our household. P works together with a group of growers selling their produce into retail stores so it’s non stop from September to February trying to sell 100s and 100s of crates a day! It does have it’s benefits of course, we get our strawberries straight from the field and they are always the best quality.
This dessert was created for a dinner the growers were hosting for their customers and we wanted to show their product off to it’s full potential. I also made a strawberry mousse cake which I will post shortly.
What I love about this dessert is that it is quite easy to make but looks quite decadent and richness of the chocolate is balanced with the fresh berries.
Ingredients – chocolate pastry
- 110g Butter
- 180g flour
- 60g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 egg
Ingredients – tart filling
- 200g 70% cocoa chocolate, chopped
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 250g strawberries, hulled & sliced
- Additional whipped cream for decorating
- Chocolate shavings for decoration
Method – pastry
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Grease and flour a loose bottom, 22cm, flan tin.
- Place the flour, butter, sugar, cocoa in a bowl.
- Work the ingredients together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and bring dough together.
- Rest dough in fridge for an hour before rolling out.
- Roll out pastry to fit bottom & sides of tin, prick bottom of pastry case.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the bottom and sides of the pastry shell and fill the case with dry beans, rice or lentils.
- Place the tart shell in the over with the dried beans and bake ‘blind the shell for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and remove the greaseproof paper and beans and return the pastry to the oven.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- The first baking with the beans is to prevent the pastry side slipping down with no filling in the case. The second baking is to crisp the shell.
- Allow to cool.
Method – tart filling
- Bring cream to almost boiling point.
- Add chopped chocolate and stir gently until melted and silky smooth.
- Pour into cooled tart cases and allow to cool and set before decorating.
- Decorate with sliced strawberries, whipped cream & chocolate.