Here’s a really quick dessert to put together, if you use pre made puff pastry, since it only has four ingredients! What I would suggest if baking the puff pastry shapes before hand (even the day before) and layering the slice just before you want to serve it so that the pastry stays crisp. I used the last of the puff pastry I had in the freezer from the Daring Bakers Vol au Vent challenge which I have mean meaning to use for ages so if you wish to make your own click on the link for the recipe.
- 250g Home made or store bought puff pastry
- 250ml whipping cream
- Icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees centigrade and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick and cut out rectangles 10cm x 5cm or whatever size you would prefer (don’t forget it shrinks a bit with cooking), just ensure that they are all equal sizes in order to layer them on top of each other.
- Dock the pastry so it doesn’t rise too much and stays even.
- Bake for 15-20mins or until golden brown
- Once cooked allow to cool before layering with strawberries and cream.
- Whip the cream to firm peaks and slice the strawberries (you can add a tablespoon of icing sugar to you cream before whipping if you prefer it sweet).
- To layer, take one slice of pastry and pipe cream along it, layer with strawberries and then dust with icing sugar. Repeat layering again and then finish with a third slice of puff pastry and and dust the final layer with icing sugar.
- Keep in fridge until ready to serve but remember, the longer they are in the fridge the pastry will absorb the cream and soften. Enjoy!