Nectarine & Lemon Shortcake
We were having friends round for a BBQ Sunday just past, one who is vegan, and I promised to make a dessert, what was I thinking “no eggs”, “no butter” what was I going to do? I do not have much experience with vegan desserts as i tend to load everything up with butter and eggs so I had to get my thinking cap on. I had a bowl of juicy nectarines in my kitchen which I thought would go well baked on a tart base and then I decided that perhaps a shortcake would be nicer. I would normally use butter to make my shortcake and wasn’t convinced that it would have that ‘melt in the mouth’ sensation with a butter substitute so I decided to add ground almonds to the mix for a little more luxury.
It turned out really well, the shortcake was incredibly short and I didn’t even notice that there was no butter used! It also turned out that nectarines were the favourite fruit of our friend so it was a big hit all round, so much so there was non left for me to add to my lunch box the next day.
Ingredients – shortcake
- 200g SR Flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g icing sugar
- 200g butter/Vegan substitute (Olivani)
- zest of one lemon
- 6 Nectarines, pitted & quartered
- 1 tbsp cinnmon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven on bake (not fan bake) to 160 degrees centigrade and grease & flour a 24-26cm loose bottom flan tin.
- Sift flour into bowl.
- Add butter and almond and rub into flour.
- Add sugar, lemon zest and kneed ingredients together to form a dough.Do not over kneed otherwise dough will become tough and biscuits will have a pastry texture instead of a shortbread texture.
- Press dough into base of flan tin to fit evenly throughout the bottom and up the sides slightly.
- Slice the nectarine quarters into 2-3 more wedges and place them onto the shortcake base, fanning them around the outside, then the inner circle.
- Mix the brown sugar & cinnamon together and sprinkle over the nectarines.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the base is cooked through to the texture of a biscuit.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- Serve with yoghurt, ice cream or cream.