Courgette, Parmesan & Goats Cheese Soup
The nights are definitely getting a little cooler here in Auckland and salads are becoming less appealing for an evening meal, but that means it’s time to start bringing back the soups which is definitely something to celebrate. This year I announced that we should try some different soups rather than my favourite, French Onion and P’s favourite broccoli which is very delicious but then he will tend to make the same one every week until I politely say I can’t eat any more of it.
This courgette soup, or rather zucchini soup if I’m being Kiwi, is fairly quick to make if you have a mandolin for match sticking the vegetable but you can always just thinly slice them in rounds instead of cutting match stick sizes.
I decided to add the goats cheese at the last minute since we had some left over in the fridge. We found this amazing boutique cheese company on the way down to Taupo, to do the Crossing, called ‘Over The Moon’ in a dot of a town called Putaruru. Goat & sheep cheeses have been slow to take off in NZ so I am always excited to find new ones and this cheese maker makes an excellent camembert and brie from sheep and goat milk. They are incredibly soft and gooey like a good brie or camembert should be which you do not get with the regular shop varieties here. For all NZers who appreciate a European style brie or goats cheese I highly recommend you visit their website as they will deliver.
By the way, we survived the Tongariro Crossing even in 50k winds and minimal visibility! There was not much of a view from the top but we felt quite righteous after completing it in appalling conditions and in six hours when we thought it might take seven. I thing the cold windy weather hastened our stride somewhat!
- 1 tbsp butter (or oil)
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled, chopped
- Small bunch oregano, left whole
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1kg courgette cut into matchstick size pieces
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g freshly grated parmesan
- Slices of goats cheese to serve
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based pan.
- Cook the garlic and courgette slowly for 10 minutes, or until the courgettes are lightly browned and softened.
- Add some pepper and stock and simmer for 8 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the heat.
- Put 1/2 of the soup into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Return to the pan and stir in the parmesan.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt if required, depending on how salty the cheese is.
- Serve with slices of goats cheese on top and crusty bread.