Apple & Cinnamon Pancakes with Lemon Ricotta
It’s Sunday morning, we’ve been out for a few hours surf so I felt we deserved a treat for breakfast instead of the regular cereal & toast. This is my way of guilt free indulging, if I have done enough exercise I feel I have earned the right to stuff my face! And we did, with these pancakes, P went a little overboard and added some melted chocolate to his but personally I thought they were sweet enough with the cinnamon & honey.
They are a little big more time consuming than regular pancakes but the caramelised apples are well worth the extra effort.
Ingredients – makes 4
- 100g flour
- 30g sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, separate yolks from whites
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 red apples
- oil for pan
- Add egg yolk to the milk & whisk together
- Place flour & sugar into a bowl and whisk in the milk & egg yolk.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until they form peeks.
- Gently fold egg white into the flour mixture to form a thick batter.
- Quarter, core and thinly slice apples.
- Melt honey and cinnamon together so it is liquid and then coat apple slices with this mixture.
- Spoon ¼ of the pancake mixture into a non stick pan and arrange apple slices on pancake mix. Note each slice be set into the pancake mix otherwise when you flip it over they will not stick to the pancake.
- Once the first side has cooked turn pancake and cook apple side of pancake.
- Place in the oven to keep warm until you have finish all four pancakes. You may have to wipe the pan in between due to the honey mixture.
- Brush pancakes with any excess honey before serving.
- The ricotta is unsweetened with some lemon zest added but you can always serve with cream, yoghurt or ice cream.