Chocolate Ginger Nut Biscuits
We both came down with colds last week and when I feel poorly all I want to do is sit at home all snuggled up on the sofa with a pot of tea and some biscuits. Unfortunately there were no biscuits in the house, I never buy them otherwise I will eat the whole packet in one sitting and feel terrible afterwards! So once I was starting to feel a little more human again after a few days of coughing and spluttering (being a bit of a drama queen that I am there was quite a bit since it is the first cold I have had in 4 years) I headed to the kitchen to make a batch. I had ginger nut biscuits on my mind for days, it was one of my favourite ‘dunking’ biscuit back in the UK so I headed straight for Delia Smith online, the guru of English home baking (after Mrs Beeton of course) and found this recipe for ginger nuts biscuits with a hint of chocolate in them.
It’s very quick recipe which creates a ginger nut biscuit far superior than any you can buy in the shop, so all you ginger nut fans out there it’s a must. Crisp, crunchy biscuits loaded with ginger spice, good for any cold, well that’s my excuse anyway…. feeling better already!
- 50g chopped dark chocolate, 70%
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 110g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g butter
- 50g sugar
- 50g honey or golden syrup (2 tbsp)
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Sift flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Rub butter into flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then add the sugar and chopped chocolate.
- Add the honey/golden syrup and mix everything with a spoon, finish off by squeezing the mixture together with your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 12, and roll each portion into a ball.
- Place on the lined baking sheet, well spaced out as they will spread quite a bit during baking, flatten each one slightly.
- Bake on the centre shelf for 15-20 minutes, or until they have spread out and turned cracked and craggy.
- Cool on the baking tray for a few minutes then, using a palette knife, remove to a wire rack to cool completely.