Twice Baked Mushroom Souffle
Souffles are a lot easier to make than most people realise and the majority of the preparation can be done before hand. With this dish you can prepare most of it in advance, like the mushroom sauce and base for the souffle, leaving just the whisking and the folding of the whites and baking to last minute. It’s a fabulous hearty winter dish that isn’t too heavy. You could serve it either as a light main course or make smaller ramekins for an entree. The souffle does sink when you take it out of the ramekin but it is still very light in texture after the second baking.
Ingredients – serves 4-6 depending on ramekin size
- 30g butter (souffle)
- 30g flour
- 350ml milk
- 3 eggs separated
- 60g gruyere cheese, grated
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 10og butter (sauce)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 60ml dry white wine
- 250ml pouring cream
- handful chopped thyme
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pre heat oven to 200C.
- Grease and flour 4 large ramekins.
- For the mushroom sauce, heat butter in a frying pan and add shallots, fry on a low heat until tender.
- Add mushrooms and fry till cooked (5 mins).
- Add wine to pan and reduce liquid by half.
- Add cream, mustard & thyme and reduce the sauce slightly.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and set aside.
- For the souffle, melt the butter in a pan then add the flour.
- Cook flour for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a separate pan then whisk into the flour & butter mixture, stirring continuously and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool then whisk in the egg yolks only.
- Season to taste and cover with plastic wrap till ready to use (prevents a skin forming).
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form then whisk 1/3 into the cooled milk mixture.
- Fold the remaining whites into the mixture with a metal spoon and pour into ramekins.
- Bake until golden and well risen (approx 7-10 minutes).
- Divide mushroom sauce between 4 oven proof plates and turn souffles out on top of the mushroom sauce.
- Scatter with grated cheese and return to the oven and bake until cheese has melted and turned golden (5-8 minutes).