I enjoy muesli in the morning but lately I have been really disappointed with the ones I have bought at the supermarket, they are always too sugary. So why don’t I make my own muesli? It only takes 5 minutes to put together and 15 minutes to roast. I used to make it but got out of the habit until I was at a friends house on Friday and she proudly presented her freshly made batch of muesli. Well I was inspired and the next morning I decided that’s what I would do and raided the pantry, knowing there would be plenty in there that would suffice. That’s the good thing about muesli you can use all your left over nuts, seeds and fruit let over from backing.
The recipe below is what I put together Saturday morning, you can use anything you like just stick to the ratios and you will get a great muesli.
- 250g rye flakes (or oats)
- 100 whole nuts (I used pistachio & walnuts)
- 100g seeds (I used linseed & pumpkin seeds)
- 100g dried fruit (I used figs & sultanas)
- 100g dried coconut
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Whisk the honey and oil together
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the oil and honey and mix until all the dried ingredients are coated.
- Spread over 2 baking sheets
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before putting into a storage container.