Poached Rhubarb and Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding
I made this little treat for myself since P doesn’t eat rice pudding. I thought it would make a great breakfast after a few lengths in the pool so I also put some into little jars and took it to work with me for morning tea. I ate mine cold as a summer dessert, I’m trying to convince the weather into changing, but you could also serve it warm.
Ingredients – Rhubarb
- 400g Rhubarb
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Wash and cut rhubarb into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Place into a heavy bottom pan with sugar, there should be enough water from washing the rhubarb cooking.
- Poach on a very low heat until rhubarb is tender, try not to stir the rhubarb as it will break up.
- Divide between 4 bowls
Ingredients – vanilla bean rice
- 1 cup white rice, I used arborio this time
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup of cream
- 3 tbsp castor sugar or honey
- 1 vanilla pod
- Split and de-seed the vanilla pod
- Add the milk, rice and vanilla seeds to heavy bottom pan and bring ingredients to the boil.
- Once boiled, stir the rice and reduce the heat to the lowest setting possible. Keep stirring the rice every few minutes to prevent sticking to the pan.
- Once it has thickened test to see if the rice is soft, if not add more milk. Once soft add the sugar to the rice and then the cream.
- Cook for a further minute and then either allow to cool slightly and pour onto the rhubarb or serve immediately, this depends whether you are going to have a hot or cold dessert.