Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
I much prefer cupcakes to muffins, the texture is much lighter and they are a little treat you don’t feel guilty about having whereas the muffins sold here are dinosaur sized and leave you waddling around for hours afterward. I know you don’t need to eat a whole one at once but that is easier said that done when it is sitting in front of you. I’d like to say this was my invention a lemon meringue cupcake but I did first try them at the fabulous cupcake shop Delish in Forest Hill, Auckland and just knew I had to make my own. It’s a gorgeous little shop which sells many varieties of cupcakes as well as products to make and decorate you own cupcakes, they even take online orders.
Ingredients – cupcakes
- 125g butter
- 125g sugar
- 125g SR flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- pre heat oven 160C
- Place 10-12 cup cake cases into a small cupcake tray, this help hold the shape of the cup cake.
- Place butter & sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk or good old fashioned wooded spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk in between both additions.
- Sift flour into mixture and fold gently through with a metal spoon so not to loose all the air that has been beaten in.
- Spoon mixture into cases, about 2/3 full. I was offered a great tip from someone who read my blog and suggested using an ice cream scoop to get a consistent size, brilliant.
- Bake in oven for 25- 30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out of the sponge clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin. Hollow out the centre and fill with ½ tsp lemon curd.
Making the curd and meringue means you use all of the eggs, yolks in the curd and white for the meringue. You will find a lemon curd recipe here, you will only need half the quantity.
Ingredients – meringue
- 2 free range egg whites (keep yolks for curd)
- 100g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
Method – meringue
- Pre-heat oven to 120C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and whisk till fluffy
- Gradually add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking in between each addition until firm peaks have formed.
- Add vinegar and whisk again.
- Spoon all meringue into a piping bag with a large nozzle and pipe onto the baking sheet enough meringue crowns for the top of the cupcakes.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until crispy but not brown.
- Place crown on top of the cupcake and serve