Moroccan Quinoa Salad
Do you ever buy things that just sit in your food cupboard and you don’t use them? I had a bag of organic Quinoa sitting in my cupboard for ages, in fact the best by date is next month so you can imagine how long it has been there! I had been to our local organic store to buy some kelp products for the Pacific Harvest competition and saw these cute little pre packaged salads of cous cous or quinoa and bought one for my lunch while I was there. It was quite delicious but the price wasn’t as cute as the packaging and I decided to make my own knowing that somewhere in the back of my cupboard was lurking a packet of quinoa.
You can serve this salad both warm or cold.
Serves 4 as side dish
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red pepper/capsicum, slided
- 2 small courgettes, diced
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 onion, halved then sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 preserved lemon
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Large handful Italian parsley, finely chopped
- In a medium sized pan add the cup of quinoa grains and 3 cups of water. Bring the water to the boil then turn heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. The quinoa will ‘sprout’ in the water showing the little white tail you see in the picture.
- Dry fry the cumin, coriander & mustard seeds in a frying pan for 1 minute to release their fragrance. Remove from pan and grind with a mortar & pestle.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and gentle fry until the onions become soft and opaque, add the garlic, ginger, ground spices, preserved lemon and turmeric and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the diced courgettes and red pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes until everything is cooked.
- Add the tomato and cook until the tomato had broken down.
- Add the grated carrots, quinoa and parsley then serve warm or keep in the fridge until ready to serve cold.