Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
This Saturday I held a cupcake decorating demonstration at our local kitchenware store, Mix & Match, in Waimauku. The charming owner, Soohee, is holding several events each week until Christmas and she had asked if I would like to take part in one. Since I am no blushing violet I readily accepted, it would give me an opportunity to meet new people in the neighboughood and introduce the Gourmet Gannet workshops. It was a fun afternoon with quite a big crowd in the shop, the day was rather humid and warm which played havoc with the cream cheese frosting, but we got there in the end. The young girls who came along also had fun making fondant flowers and decorating the cakes and we all enjoyed sampling the final product.
Mix & Match has an amazing range of cupcake products with the cutest boxes to present them in as gifts, as well as kits for making them and decorating them. The range is perfect for the cupcake fanatic or keen teenage baker in the house but you may need to beat me to the shop as I have my eye on a few more things.
For those of you who are local here are a few other events happening at Mix & Match, which I will be popping along too:
Thursday 25th November, 5pm – 8pm – Mix n Match is offering cheese tasting with Crescent Dairy Goats from Taupaki.
Saturday 4 of December, 11:30-12:20 Christmas cake & topper decorating demonstration
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 125g butter
- 125g sugar
- 150g SR flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 chips of strawberries
- 50g 70% cocoa chocolate
- Place 12 cup cake cases into a muffin tray, this helps hold the shape of the cup cake.
- Put butter & sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk or good old fashioned wooded spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk in between both additions.
- Sift flour into mixture and fold gently through with a metal spoon so not to loose all the air that has been beaten in.
- Add the milk and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into cases to half full and then insert a small strawberry into the mixture. Add some more cake mixture on top of the strawberry. The case should be a little more than 2/3 full, but need space to rise.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes until golden and risen.
- Allow to cool slightly then removing from muffin tin.
Ingredients – strawberry cream cheese topping
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 250g Cream cheese, softened
- Beat all ingredients together to a smooth consistency.
- Fill piping bag and the fun starts!
- Pipe swirls onto the top of cooled cupcakes.
- Melt chocolate and dip the strawberries into it. Allow them to set on a plate before placing on top of the swirl of strawberry cream cheese.