Lemon Chia Seed Cake with Blackberry Drizzle
Delish Cupcakes in Forest Hill, has organised a bake sale to raise funds for the Canterbury Earthquake relief, Saturday 5th March, 10am to 3pm. I am baking and contributing a larger version of this lemon chai seed cake with blackberry drizzle so if you would like to sample a slice you can do on Saturday at their store! If you live in the Auckland region and would like to donate your own cake you can get the details of how to from the Delish Cupcake website. And if you aren’t a baker but love cakes you can still do your bit by popping down and purchasing what is on offer!
I can do a collection on my way from Muriwai to The Shore via West Harbour or Whenuapai if you would like to offer some baking but aren’t able to get to the shop. Just leave me a comment or email me at allison.gourmetgannet.co.nz
Shop 4, 14-16 Raines Ave
(just of Tristram off ramp)
Recipe for Chai Seed & lemon Cake with Blackberry Drizzle Ingredients
- Zest of 2 & juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 250g butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 & 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 200g sour cream (lite if you prefer)
- 50g chai seeds (or you can use poppy seeds)
- 200g blackberries
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Below is the option to make either a large cake or cupcakes out of the mixture.
- Pre heat oven 160C
- Grease and flour a 24cm cake tin or prepare 18 cupcake cases in muffin tins.
- Cream together the butter & sugar.
- Add the juice and the lemon zest.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, until combined.
- Stir in half the sifted flours then half the sour cream. Then stir in the remaining flour and cream.
- Spoon mixture into the cake tin or cupcake cases to 2/3 full.
- Bake large cake for 1 hour until golden, then test with skewer to see if it comes out clean, if not bake a little longer and test again until it does come out clean. Shouldn’t be more than 1.25 hours altogether. For the cupcakes, bake until puffed and golden, approx 25 minutes.
- Stand 5 minutes before turning onto cake rack to cool.
- Put the blackberries and icing sugar in a blender and whiz together. You can strain the mix or use with the seeds. Pour over cool cake and serve.