Hola Mexico! Chipotle Chili Tamarind BBQ Sirloin & Grilled Salmon with Lime, Ginger & Coriander
It’s definitely time to get out the BBQ, it’s been five month since it saw light of day, the only problem is our summer doesn’t seem to be towing the line. Slammed by southerly wind, showers and the odd blink of sun this weekend my great plans of a Mexican BBQ turned into grilling indoors in the cast iron skillet instead. It’s a ritual this time every year, the New Zealand weather turns on a few warm days, we pack away our winter clothes knowing damn well the weather Gods haven’t finished toying with us and it all turns to custard again. Realistically the weather doesn’t truly settle till December , at that stage the jandels (flip flops) are on and no socks for 5 months. I’m just hoping the weather might give me a little reprieve next week when I am running the Mexican BBQ workshop, at least I have a back up plan and plenty cast iron frying pans if doesn’t behave itself.
Mexican Grilled Salmon with Lime, Ginger & Coriander
Ingredients – serves 2-4
- 2-4 salmon fillets (one per person)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 2 chili, finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 small bunch Coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Remove skin from the salmon and any pin bones.
- Place all the ingredients except for the salmon in a bowl and mix together.
- In a flat bottom dish place the salmon pieces and pour over the marinade. Marinate for 20 minutes, do not leave it much longer as the lime and tamarind will ‘cook’ the salmon.
- Heat the BBQ to medium high and flame grill the salmon for two minutes on each side or cooked right through if you prefer. Place the salmon pieces onto a serving dish.
- Put the remaining marinade into a small pan and bring to the boil. Pour over cooked salmon on serving dish and serve with corn tacos & tomato salsa.
Chipotle Chili Tamarind BBQ Skirt Steak
Ingredients – serves 4
- 800g Skirt Steaks (or sirloin if you prefer)
- 1tps black pepper corns, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 chipotle (I use tinned-La Morena) chili, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 Tbsp Japanese soy
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients except for the skirt steak together in a bowl.
- Place the skirt steak into flat dish and pour over the marinade and covering both sides. Marinate the steak for a minimum of one hour (it can be left for several).
- Heat the BBQ to medium high and flame grill the steak on one side for 2 minutes and then turn over and marinate on the other side also for two minutes.
- Remove steak from the heat and wrap in tin foil and let the meat rest for ten minutes.
- Slice thinly and serve with corn tacos and tomato salsa
- Heat the remaining sauce in a pan and serve over sliced steak